Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The games of my Life (aka "My Foundation") Part 4

OTHER GENDER

- La Abadía del Crimen (MSX version, 1988) – This game brought all the mystery of the movie, considering the resources. It was really magic. There is a terrific remake here.

- Simcity (1989) – Will Wright is a genius. Who could imagine building things is much more fun than destroying.

- Prince of Persia (1989) – Talking about magic... All in this extremely difficult (for the newbie I was) game is perfect.

EDIT: I was watching the game on Youtube, and it is really merciless. I miss that time when games weren't made for 8 year old kids...

- Alone in the Dark (1992) – Oh it really scarred me. It had a formula that was lost in the sequels: all the time you fell fragile and terror was real.

- Prince of Persia 2 (1993) - The most beautiful graphics and soundtrack I could imagine. Video of the start of the game.

- Ultima VIII: Pagan (1994) – My first Ultima game: it really impressed me. This was open, long, complex and cruel game. One of the few games I played extensively and never finished.

- Diablo (1996) - A new standard in the video game industry. Blizzard = gold.

- The Sims (2000) – The greatest virtue of The Sims was to bring the female public to video games. Yes, it's like playing with dolls. Yes, the (dozens of) expansions doesn't worth what they costs. Yes, the game gets incredible heavy as it is expanded. But none can deny it's a fantastic idea (and a money factory).

- Neverwinter Nights (2002) – Not only the singleplayer was great, but there was a fantastic feature: co-op campaign!

EDIT: I never really played Baldur's Gate or Baldur's Gate II... some say they are better than Neverwinter Nights.

- Knights of the Old Republic (2003) – A very involving story, with one of the best plots I ever saw in a game. Unfortunately, there is no multiplayer support.

- Guitar Hero III (2007) – Very fun and uncompromised game. When you are stressed, a quick Guitar Hero match can clear your mind. The song selection and the artwork are unbeatable.

- World of Goo (2008) - What a refreshing game! Best than any high budged similar. Trailer here!

No comments: